In order to supplement the education our farming apprentices receive in our fields and in the classroom, we participate in the Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training (CRAFT), which is a cooperative model for sharing complementary farm training in collaboration with participating farms.
The Mid-Hudson CRAFT program is based on the Western Massachusetts/Eastern New York CRAFT program that was initiated in 1994. Participants visit host farms for a tour, talk or demonstration on a specific topic. These visits to other farms offer farmers-in-training exposure to a number of diverse farm enterprises, as well as opportunities to develop practical skills and network with other farmers and apprentices.
The schedule for the Mid-Hudson CRAFT group, with visits ranging from Ulster to Putnam Counties, is available below. If you would like to join Mid-Hudson CRAFT, please contact Dave Llewellyn, Glynwood’s Director of Farmer Training.
Mid-Hudson CRAFT – 2015 Schedule
All visits run from 6 to 8pm, unless otherwise noted.
- June 4: Soil Science – Locust on Hudson
- June 18: Local Economies Project Farm Hub – Tour and Programs Intro
- July 2: 4th of July Mixer – Glynwood (4-8pm)
- July 6: Western Mass CRAFT – Sisters Hill Farm (2-5pm)
- July 16: Planning Your Garden for Farm Based Education and How To Lead a Farm-Based Learning Activity – Phillies Bridge Farm Project (5-8pm w/ potluck)
- July 30: Irrigation Systems – Poughkeepsie Farm Project
- August 13: Starting a CSA – Hearty Roots Community Farm
- August 27: No-Till Vegetable Farming – Four Winds Farm
- September 10: Multi-Species Pastured Livestock – Stone Barns (6–8pm)
- September 24: High Tunnel Production/Hop Production – Obercreek Farm (5-7pm)
- October 8: Starting a Raw Milk Dairy – Old Ford Farm (5-7pm)
- October 22: Planning For and Growing a Winter CSA – Sparrowbush Farm (5-7pm)
- October 29: Next Steps for New Farmers Panel and Group Discussion – Hudson Valley Farm Business Incubator